This list of podcast directories and apps is ordered from most important to least important. iTunes provides about 80% of the downloads. If you’re short on time, iTunes is unquestionably the most important of the podcast directories. But if you’ve got 15 minutes, you might as well submit to all of them.
The Most Important Podcast Directories:
- iTunes – Submit your RSS feed here. We’ve got screenshots of the process here.
- Stitcher – Fill out the form here and accept the terms and conditions. A Stitcher team member will contact you shortly after receiving your form to get started.
- Spotify – Login to your Libsyn account and follow the process here.
- Google Play Music – Google Play is here! Huzzah! Submit your podcast here. Or you can submit through your Libsyn account. Follow the process here.
- Pandora – Pandora for podcasts is here! Submit your podcasts here.
- SoundCloud – Create a SoundCloud account here. You can then set up an automatic RSS download to SoundCloud via Libsyn. Follow the process here.
- TuneIn – Fill out the form and submit your podcast here.
- iHeartRadio – Login to your Libsyn account and follow the process here.
- RadioPublic – Add your RSS feed here. Verify and accept the terms and conditions.
- YouTube – Convert your podcast to a video that can be uploaded to your YouTube channel. Use your show art, or episode art and upload along with the .mp3 file to create the video file. Learn how to do this here.
- PodDirectory – Go to the submit page here and enter your RSS feed and hit submit. PodDirectory will grab your feed and add your podcast to their site.
- Acast – Scroll down and hit the Add Your Show button. Check I want to join Acast as a non-hosted podcast and fill out the form here.
- Pocket Casts – Submit your RSS feed here.
- DoubleTwist – To submit a new podcast enter your RSS feed and show details here.
- Player.FM – Go here and fill out your show’s information or you can email [email protected] with Show Name, RSS Feed URL and description.
- PodKicker – An android platform. It’s hyper-simple to submit your podcast RSS feed here.
- PodBean – Create an account here to submit your podcast. Enter your RSS feed and hit submit.
- Radio.com – Login to your Libsyn account and follow the process here. Or fill out the form here to submit your podcast.
- Listen Notes – Check the app here to make sure your show is there. If it isn’t submit it here.
- Deezer – Create an account here to submit your podcast.
- Downcast – This pulls from the iTunes API so all you need to do once you submit your RSS feed to iTunes is check the app here to make sure your show is there.
- Podcast Addict – This pulls from the iTunes API so all you need to do once you submit your RSS feed to iTunes is check the app here to make sure your show is there.
- Overcast – This pulls from the iTunes API so all you need to do once you submit your RSS feed to iTunes is check the app here to make sure your show is there.
- iCatcher – This pulls from the iTunes API so all you need to do once you submit your RSS feed to iTunes is check the app here to make sure your show is there.
- Windows Phone 8.1 – Windows Phone 8.1 uses a Bing-enabled search mechanism to locate podcasts. To improve the search results of your podcast, add “feed:podcast” to your keywords tag within your podcasts RSS feed. Podcasts can also be located by entering the RSS feed directly into the podcast app search window.
- Improve Bing-Enabled Podcast Search Results – By using Webmaster Tools, you can tell Bing about your site. In return, Bing Webmaster Tools tells you how well your site is performing in Bing and Bing-powered search and keeps you up to date about issues we see on your site. To inform us about sitemaps or RSS feeds, including those containing podcasts, follow these steps:
- If you haven’t done so already, sign up with Bing Webmaster Tools.
- Add the site that hosts the Podcast RSS/feed and verify ownership of the site.
- Use the Submit Sitemap tool and submit the full RSS feed URL containing the links to your podcasts. (Within a few hours, you’ll see whether Bing successfully downloaded your sitemap or feed so that it can be indexed.)
Potentially important podcast directories we don’t know enough about right now:
Podbay.fm – (Coming Soon)
Removed due to inactivity:
BlackBerry – Submit your Feed here
Get Featured on The Feed
Here’s the info to get featured, just follow the below. And if you have a 30-second promo of your show, I’d love to play it.
The soul of this series is to share your show as well as to share your experience with podcasting, as it tends to inspire and educate the community as a whole 🙂
Send a message to Elsie Escobar:
With an attached PLAIN TEXT file (.txt) with your answers to the following questions:
Here is a list of questions:
If you don’t want to answer some of them, please feel to skip. If you want to offer more insight about anything you think might serve other podcasters, please feel free to share.
When did you start podcasting?
Why did you start podcasting?
What’s your show about?
What’s your podcasting set-up? Hardware, software, CMS, etc.
How have you promoted your podcast?
What do you know now that you wish you knew when you started?
You can simply reply to this email with your answers or send along a text file. Whatever is easier for you 🙂
For promotional love need:
- Your website
- Best way to connect with you: twitter/facebook page/email
- iTunes podcast link
- Podcast artwork: please attach podcast artwork or provide direct link for your artwork (600 x600 up to 1400 x 1400)
- Anything that you are currently promoting (if anything)
Updated January 20th, 2017Hat tip to Karsten Aichholz for the heads up on the broken iTunes link. Hat tip to Paul Colaianni of The Overwhelmed Brain for support with building this list. Hat tip to Niels Kaastrup-Larsen of Top Traders Unplugged for the Pocket Casts recommendation. Hat tip to Dominic Labriola of Real Shift Radio for the valuable insight on Spreaker and iHeartRadio. We’ve decided they didn’t make the cut in 2017 since their free plan has very limited uploads. This sounds like a great platform for hosting your podcast on a Pro plan.