This is a sound quality vs. file size optimization question.
If you have insight please let me know. I studied this a while back and found 128 kbps to be the optimal bitrate. When we drop to 64 kbps I can hear loss in audio quality when musical elements are mixed with spoken elements.
Above 128kbps I can’t hear any difference.
This leads me to the conclusion that 128 is the optimal bitrate for podcasts with musical elements.
If you have insight into this issue, please share it in the comments below.
Exploring Bitrates of Top Podcasts:
- This American Life – 64 kbps – Sample Rate 44.1 kHz
- Ask Gary Vee – 128 Kbps – Sample Rate 44.1 kHz
- Serial – 112 Kbps – Sample Rate 44.1 kHz
- Marc Maron – 40 kbps – Sample Rate 22.050 kHz
- Mixergy w/ Andrew Warner – 128 kbps – Sample Rate 44.1 kHz
- Freakonomics – 96 kbps – Sample Rate 44.1 kHz
- The Adam Carolla Show – 64 kbps – Sample Rate 44.1 kHz
- Hardcore History – 128 kbps – Sample Rate 44.1 kHz