Has someone just uploaded a 5 GB file to your DropBox and killed your workflow for the day?
Are you trying to find a way to archive past DropBox based projects? You want the files on Dropbox but not on your Hard Drive?
Jonah helped us find the answer to this problem.
The answer is selective sync.
Selective sync allows you to select and differentiate between what is in your DropBox and what is on your hard drive. Here is how it works:
How to Selective Sync Your DropBox:
- Click DropBox Icon at the top of the screen
- Click the Gear Icon at the bottom right of the dropdown menu
- Select Preferences
- Click the “Account” tab
- Click the “Change Settings…” box next to Selective Sync
- Uncheck folders which you want to remove from your hard drive but keep on DropBox
- Once you have made your selections, click update
Once you click update the files will be removed from your hard drive, but they will contunie to be shareable and retreavable on the Dropbox web client.
Your hard drive will automatically clean up while your archived folders are stored in the cloud.
Thank you so much for this information! My DropBox account has storage for so much more room than I have on my Computer – and my Time Machine backups were filling up too. This will absolutely solve my disk space issue! Brilliant 🙂